Over the decades, most creative fields in India (from dance to fashion) have been strongly influenced by Bollywood and the people who make it glamourous. This season, it’s Minawala’s design team that’s caught the Bollywood bug and has created a collection that follows Bollywood trends and style.
I got a good look at the Bollywood by Design collection when I visited the Minawala store last week. The range is about drama, glamour, beauty, grace and charisma. In jewellery trends, this has been translated into colour, exclusivity, highly stylized contemporary designs, and of course, a touch of OTT.
Take a look at these colourful earrings from the Minawala collection:
Rightly so, there were also plenty of diamonds in the collection, used artistically with precious and semi-precious stones to create several multi-coloured pieces of jewellery. The stand-out pieces were statement earrings, oversized cocktail rings and multi-tiered necklaces.
My favourite piece? This kada featuring beautiful diamonds in several cuts.
Some fashion tips I picked up from the Bollywood By Design jewellery:
- Fashion is fickle- it changes every season. But jewellery trends are everlasting. Invest in a few good pieces and you could wear them forever, unlike clothes which you need to discard every season or at least once a year.
- Go OTT with jewellery when you want to look glamourous like the stars. Team your diamond jewellery with a stylish dress or gown for an evening out. It’s okay to “over dress”, but make sure you don’t resemble Diwali fireworks.
- Use colour (plenty of it!) in clothes, accessories and jewellery. While fashion dictates specific colours every season, jewellery trends don’t usually follow such rigid stories, which makes choosing your jewellery easier.
- Wear a statement piece of jewellery for an elegant look. It could be dangling earrings, an eye-catching cuff or ring. Diamond jewellery can be worn on all occasions, but is best suited for classy, tasteful style.
- While we usually choose our clothes first, and then our jewellery, why not try dressing the other way round once in a while? Pick the piece of jewellery you wish to highlight, then put together the rest of your ensemble. 🙂
Minawala’s Bollywood By Design collection is available at Minawala stores in Mumbai, New Delhi and Bengaluru.