Ladies, in the midst of the rising summer temperatures and terrifying “market conditions”, there is a ray of hope in the form of good old-fashioned shopping news. H&M is on its way to India!
(From H&M’s Spring Summer 2013 campaign)
This time the company means business, with Fredrik Olsson (head of expansion) at Hennes & Mauritz stating that they are looking to open 50 stores in India. That’s right– FIFTY!
Olsson also said the had already approached the Indian government for the initial investment of $130 million. Given how super quickly our bureaucracy works (ahem!), the first store could take a while. But hey, who’s complaining as long as H&M is really coming! I’m hoping the prices and styles are as great as they are globally, especially in Asia.
While the news sinks in, here are some facts you need to know about H&M:
- H&M is a fast fashion brand (like Zara), with focus on trends, quality and great prices (of course!). They sell to both men and women.
- H&M has over 2800 stores worldwide across 49 countries. (They recently opened their first store in Chile.)
- H&M often collaborates with style icons for limited edition lines and collections. They’ve worked with everyone from David Beckham to Beyonce to Versace to Karl Lagerfeld.
- Helen Hunt wore an H&M gown to the Oscars this year, shocking fashionistas, bloggers, critics and everyone else.
- And oh, H&M debuted at Paris Fashion Week in February. Yet another shock as a fast fashion brand presented their collection in the company of luxury houses.