If you think Priyanka Chopra’s wearing a sari made into a dress on the cover of Vogue India, you’re not the only one. The big hoarding on Mumbai’s Peddar Road had me convinced the smart fashionistas at Vogue India had tailored a sari into a dress for the actor. Turns out that the corset-and-skirt are from Louis Vuitton’s India-inspired capsule collection. Another dress from the collection below:
The pictures I saw got me umm… excited, to say the least. I got thinking on which of my Mom’s saris I would like to make into another garment, and drew up a wishlist:
- Brocade sari: Dress (but not a sheath—it’s overdone), flared dress (that can double up as a kurta to wear with churidar), or mini skirt
- Chiffon sari: Loose tunic or layered dress/ jacket (like Nachiket Barve often does)
- Net sari: Loose-fitting blouse
- Sequinned sari: Sexy party dress
- Lace sari: Blouse or waistcoat (to be worn over a solid tee/ shirt)
Which sari would you tailor into another garment? Tell us!