If you’re packing for a vacation now, you’re probably confused and your room is a mess. What should you take and what should you leave behind? While I’m not the perfect packer, I’ve put together a list of tips to make the most of your space (and weight!) restrictions. Some of these tips I’ve picked up from reading travel blogs and websites, but most of them are my own. Let me know what you think!
(Picture courtesy: Arrow)
- Make light tops and tees the building blocks of your vacay wardrobe and try to plan the rest of your things around them.
- Try sticking to solids, light prints or tops with light detailing.
- Prints can be tricky to style. So if you’re carrying any, make sure you have the right pants / jacket or top to pair with the print.
- Skip the jeans, pack coloured trousers instead (or very light denim). They weigh less, occupy less space and are way more stylish.
- Make sure your trousers are matched with your tops before you pack. You don’t want to look mismatched, even if you’re on holiday!
- Linens are great as tops, shirts and pants!
- And so are maxi dresses.
- Light cotton and linen fabrics are best for all-day wear. Keep the synthetics at home.
- For footwear, you will need sneakers if you will be walking a lot, and comfy loafers that go with everything. Open flat sandals are great too.
- If you plan to party, carry an LBD or black sequinned/ embellished top.
- There should always be scope for interchanging looks and garments in case something gets soiled or damp. So make sure you carry a pair of neutral pants and a white or beige top.
- If you’re going to a shopping destination, travel light. You can always shop there, and plan your itinerary accordingly.
- The only accessories you need are a spacious bag, couple of cuffs and tiny studs. And a watch so you don’t miss your flight.
- I always carry a couple of tops or pants that I need to discard. So I wear them out and get rid of them while travelling. This way, I have space for my shopping, and a reason to shop! 🙂
- No makeup please! Just a light compact powder, lip colour and mascara will do. Eye liner, if you must.
- Don’t miss the the sunblock and moisturiser. You will always need them.
Coming Soon: Chic Holiday Guide (Part 2): The old and new vacation essentials