India’s got a new silver screen rockstar— Ranbir Kapoor! Ranbir’s Jordan (aka Janardan) is a rebel who doesn’t care a damn about the world. He sings about his angst, raises his voice against the establishment, and most importantly, he wears what he wants.
Ace designer Aki Narula has designed for Ranbir in Rockstar, and the two distinct looks he has created for Ranbir are poles apart. Here’s how Aki Narula has worked his magic on Ranbir in the movie.
Ranbir Kapoor’s pre-rockstar look (Janardan)
With unkempt hair and stubble, Jordan portrays the ultimate Jim Morrison fan. But much before his rockstar days, Jordan was Janardan, a middle-class Delhi boy who was awkward around girls and wanted to be cool.
That’s when Ranbir wears:
- Skinny and straight-fit jeans
- Colourful knit sweaters
- Typical “stylish” shirts
Ranbir Kapoor’s Rockstar look (Jordan)
Jordan is not the fumbling Delhi boy Janardan in an earlier life. He’s had a broken heart, he’s been to jail, and he’s got a fearless attitude. He doesn’t need to be cool anymore—he goes grunge, dishevelled and vagabond. What Jordan is wearing:
- Kurtas: He didn’t wear those to college, because kurtas just weren’t cool. Now he wears them because he no longer cares what people think of him.
- Military jacket: The military-inspired jacket (for both men and women) was a rage last winter, and Ranbir might make it popular again. Given his Kashmiri background, Jordan is quite fascinated with the armed forces.
- Qawwal jackets: These sleeveless jackets indicate Jordan’s connection with qawwali singers.
- The famous police shirt: Ranbir’s wearing a police shirt in Sadda Haq, with an attached feather. A blatant act of rebellion against the system!
- Colours: The gypsies of Prague inspire Jordan to wear bursts of colour and add a personal touch to his performance clothes.
Ranbir’s Rockstar accessories are minimum. He sometimes dons a Nehru cap with badges that remind him of his mentor (Ustad Jameel Khan- Shammi Kapoor), and tassles and small objects like feathers.
Besides these, Ranbir is also wearing a chain around his neck with a piece of his first broken guitar string and his first guitar pick. He adds little souvenirs to the chain as he travels around the world.
What do you like about Ranbir’s look in Rockstar?
Rockstar releases on November 11, 2011.